Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Yale Center For Bristish Art Museum

Fourth Outing
“New Britain Museum of American Art”
December 7, 2008


This picture came out horrible! Angel, my fiance, took this picture three times and I could not get the right lighting. I hope this is visible. My trip to Yale British Center was very nice and I arrived there at 4pm. I only had an hour. This week was extremely hectic with working late and just trying to get time in for this visit. What I noticed was that this museum compared to the Yale Art Museum was a bit different. The facility had a very modern and contemporary look to it. The lighting fixtures were dim too. A bit too dark for me I have to say. However, I fell in love with the floors and concrete walls of this Museum. The front Desk receptionist was by herself and she was so kind to briefly go over the rules with me. Her name was Elisa and she went over the map, floors and where not to take pictures. I have to say it was pretty cold in the lobby too!

The Yale Bristish Center was built in 1974 by Louis Kahn, the architect. This museum has over 2000 paintings and 100 sculptures. Its not as big as Yale Art Museum but its just as pretty and cozy. I had trouble with my pictures, and I really thought I captured them all but I didn't. I hope you are able to see on this painting what I captured.


Although my time was short, and to add I was not feeling well this day too. I manage to stick this out for an hour. With body aches, I was still able to get drawn into this beautiful painting above. This painting took a hold of my heart. It complete captured my attention when I saw this little girl leaning over who I think is her father that just died. A solider who was at war and lost his life. All she could do is lean on him with sadness and to the obvious she looked tired of crying so much. The way she held on to his clothes as if its the only thing she will have to remember him. This painting is an oil on canvas. I love the faded white and the coat bright contrast colors. To my eyesight, the soft white on this painting show signs of pale, death. The bright colors on the clothing shows sign of hope, life that this child is holding to. I noticed the soldier (this child father) legs how stretched out they were, as if he was holding on to pain and/or his last breath. I also noticed his face turned to the right so that his little girl would not see him leave this earth. This artist must be drawn to our soldiers that go to war.
To my surprise, after researching the above, I was completey off! This so awesome to be able to write your own feelings and then come back to compare. This painting is reallly a little French girl accidently wounded by a stray shot. She rests on an ancient knights tomb, draped in a French military uniform while the battle rages through the window. This artist work was on a mannerist and realistic style . He also focused on detail, composition and clarity. Wow, I am emotionally driven.


No comments: