Tuesday, December 16, 2008

New Britain Museum of American Art

Third Outing
“New Britain Museum of American Art”
November 20, 2008

I arrived at the Museum at 6:52 p.m. My fiance took this picture of me! He actually went up the stairs and took it facing down. When I looked at this picture it completely left me in awe! However the feeling you get in person is completely different, out of this world. I walked into the Museum and was right away greeted by the front visitor/guest services team. Melanie and Jenna were extremely helpful. I was charged for the price of one, because they were closing within the hour. I received my sticker that said "Where Art Meets Life" and I began my tour. This Museum has over 5,000 works of art dating from the 18th century to the present day. I did not know that every year they offer a "Docent Tours at The Metropolitan Museum of Art NYC Holiday Lights Riding" tour on Christmas Eve! This is great to know, for next year. This work above was created by the artist Lisa Hoke. This art is called the "The Gravity of Color". She is from New York City and has been commissioned to create a new installation for the NBMAA at the top of the LeWitt Staircase leading from the first to second floor of the Museum. She created this art with clear plastic cups coated with vibrantly colored paints. Just looking at the colors lifts your spirits up. This woman has talent. I am so mad at myself for not coming sooner, having family around the block. I can't wait to take my kids! You must see this in person!

Frank C. Bensing (1893-1983)
"Lydia's Just A Mite Taller"

This artist above was very successful in diversement for large companies like Coca-Cola and General Electric. This artist was blind on one eye. Looking at this painting I can't believe that he was blind yet did such remarkable job. The fine detals, body sketches, nose, eyes, this takes TWO EYES to do this. I can imagine the strain on this artist eye. The colors used here are so natural, so home. I have seen paintings, adverstisement similar to the above and always wondered who this painter was, amazing.

I also skimmed throught the handbags exihibit. These handbags were so beautiful! Designed by diamonds, emeralds, beads and so much more. There were from casual diamond bags to evening handbags. I was not allowed to take pictures. They had two security guards there too, keeping an eye on divas like myself, i'm being silly. I did enjoy this area alot.

Richard Munsell (1903-1963)
Rhoda , Oil/Canvas
"Melancholly Teenager"

The entire museum again was so full of many interesting paintings and it was so hard to choose which i liked the most. I admit this is my second choice of favorites. Richard's work were mainly portrait, figure and landscape. Its suggested that this teenager on this painting that someone may have taken advantage of her or about to encounter sexual act. On this painting I see a woman who is torn between life and self-esteem. She looks so tired of life and the acts around her. I see anger, confusion as well. I work with young teens today and some have been abused. I see my kids in this painting, I admit I got a little emotional. This painting tells so much!

Blume, Peter (1906-1992) Boulders of Avila, (1976)

Peter Blume was an artist that came from Russia in 1921. His work evolved toward realistic subject depiction, with surrealistic overtones. He designed murals on government buildings as well. He belonged to many memberships like American Academy of Arts and National Institute of Arts and letters. This painting was a study of the Boulders of Avila. This artist came from Russia as an immigrant to New York City. Just like everyone else trying to fit in, civilization! This painting shows me his way of fitting in America. Also what immediately caught my eyes was the solitude, a lonely man separating himself from the world. I have to say that the dimensions of the rocks truly are outstanding. The color selected to blend in these rocks, made them so real. I said myself what a place in this artist mind, somewhere I would like to be right now. To get away and relax, to also be accepted in this society. To the artist his getaway is his work, his mind full of art/creativity. To those who see his work is finding hope, peace, tranquility.

1 comment:

Helen said...

Jinnie, thanks so much for the info on the Met on Christmas Eve. If I wasn't going to be on crutches I would be all over that tour. I see you have been very busy. I will try and get to your other postings later in the day. Nice job - I loved the Wadsworth too but I haven't gotten to New Britain yet.