Sunday, November 23, 2008

My Visit to Wadsworth Museum-I Fixed a Photo, Update!

Second Outing
“The Wadsworth Antheneum Museum”
November 15, 2008

My visit at The Wadsworth Antheneum was on November 15, 2008 @11:37 a.m. It was a pouring raining day. It was also very cold, and my umbrella broke to add to my day. I was completely soaked but was determined to stay and see this beautiful place. I walked over to the security guard station and spoke with Awilda DeJesus. I made a new friend, because we realized we have the same last name. We began to talk about Puerto Rico and where she came from. She then informs me that she has never been to a museum like this in Puerto Rico. I shared with that there is beuatiful museum she can visit in Ponce, Puerto Rico. Several years ago I got a chance to visit (during my vacation) the most beautiful museum called “el museo de arte”. She is traveling soon and she said she’s stopping there on her vacation. Anna, the front desk receptionist/guest service charged me $5 and told me where I could take pictures. She also gave me a map/guide of the Museum. They were so friendly and kind that they told me I could sit near heaters to dry up, too funny.

I love this picture; the water pool and its monument. I sat there a brief moment and watched others relax and read their books. There was a couple who came from Germany and I had them take this picture of me. I love this art work, statue, of children (what seems to me) leaning on this woman. Reminds me of my two children who are teens today and continue to lean on me like this.

I admit I was starving when I arrived, but the Russell Café looked pretty busy and I did not want to take too much time eating. However the café was very nice and I will be coming back with my family to enjoy the Museum and the cafe. I love curry chicken and what better time to have it during my second visit at Wadsworth. For those who are visiting again, please feel free to view the link below (this is their menu). http://www.wadsworthatheneum.org/pdfs/the_russell_at_the_wadsworth_atheneum_menu.pdf

I thought giving my own tour was going to be difficult but the end result was that I really enjoyed it and it wasn’t so bad. I will be coming back with my family and with more time to do the tour. As I walked through the first floor I glanced at the "reflection and shadow" art work (see below). What drew me to this painting was the vibrant, solace, rainbow, three dimensional colors. I am also a frame collector so I fell in love with the frame and this art was perfect with it. The Vase de Bourges “Blue Vase” (Japanese Vase, 1897-1898) and the Vase Antique Chinois “Red Vase” were a treat to see. They were made of hard paste porcelain. The vases seem so fragile so delicate yet so beautiful. These also brought back memories. I have an aunt who collects vases from all areas and I know she would have loved this fine piece of art. The detail on these vases, were so pretty. If I had to choose, I would pick the sky blue vase, sky blue is one of my favorite colors. The floral, yellow faded in daisies were so detailed on these vases.









On this same floor I walked into “The Goodwin Reception Room” created in 1874. The reception room was also Major James Goodwin’s house in Hartford, CT. The ceiling in this place was a fine detailed art work that it would take days to see the end of it. I looked up and just stood there with a numb feeling on how in the world this artist's mind can come up with such beautiful work. Further down, there was another exhibition called “What Lies Beneath Revealing Painters Secret”. According to my notes I took at the Museum, the Art Historians, study of the work, were based on primarily on Stylistic Findings. Today Art Historians work together to further study and connoisseurship (someone with expertise and/or training, especially in the fine arts). In the Mid 1990 term “Technical Art History” was coined to reflect the use and scope of modern technology for his purpose. “What Lies Beneath” is a small exhibition that will examine and interpret under-images of paintings from the collection, using x-radiography and infrared imaging from the perspective of both conservator and curator see link below.

http://www.wadsworthatheneum.org/view/exhibition-specific.php?id=1669&type=Future.

This painting below caught my attention. On the left hand side is the original and on the right hand side is the infrared image. What a difference! Bernard van Orley is the artist of the below called “Crucifixion”. You can actually see that there was something missing (i.e hidden under drawings, artist changing mind soldiers behind the cross, etc). I was able to make use of the audio tour (via phone). This was awesome too and so helpful. Bernard van Orley was a painter, draughtsman, a leading designer of tapestries and stained glass. He also belonged to a group of painters from the Romanism school of painting. He became famous as a designer of tapestries design. In 1520 he began to concentration his work on tapestries design. The art movement on this painting was the Northern Renaissance. He was commissioned in 1515 to paint this painting for the Confraternity of the Holy CrossFurnes. This painting has great meaning. The death of Jesus, John the Baptist in prayer, The two Mary’s weeping and grieving and those who betrayed him just standing there and watching him die. I love every single art work in this Museum, but this one I have to say touch my heart. I stood there for a few minutes and just glared and even teared. My thoughts that came to mind were that this artist is a genius. He knew every detail according to the bible. I am emotionally driven because one thing is to read the bible and the other is to actually see in front of you. On the infrared you can see some fog, and almost storms like weather. That’s what I was looking for because according to biblical readings and history there was a fog and storm like weather. I am always touched by paintings like these; and extremely grateful, in simply knowing that ONE MAN, who we call Jesus, paid such a price for someone like me!

Bernard van Orley (Flemish Brussel, 1487–1541)
The Crucifixion, 1515-20
Oil Paint
The Ella Gallup Sumner and Mary Catlin Sumner Collection Fund
1939.429

No comments: